Writer: Stan Lee
Artist: Jack Kirby
Publication Date: July 1964
Professor X has been reading up on the rest of the mighty Marvel Universe, and realizes that Sub-Mariner might be a mutant. What the Prof isn't counting on is that Namor is also an arrogant ass. Namor's also coming off a rough spurning by the lovely Sue Richards, and, well, he doesn't take it too well.
Namor does stick up for the Scarlet Witch, as he refuses to ally himself with Magneto due to the way Magneto talks to her. But, Namor can't make friends with the X-Men either, and as he darts off at issue's end, Professor X claims that Namor can never truly be one of the X-Men.
We see Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver continue to develop as sympathetic characters. Even though they leave with Magneto, it seems clear that it's only a matter of time before they change their allegiance to the side of good.
- Quicksilver is incredibly protective of his sister
- Magneto displays some weird brain power, sending an astral projection of himself to try to find Namor
- Namor is referred to as a mutant, although he does not as of yet believe that he is one
- Toad mocks the wings on Namor's feet
- There's a bonus pin up at the end of the issue
Favorite Quote: "If there's one thing I like better than pie and ice cream, it's more pie and ice cream!" - Iceman
Beast starts to show off his verbose vocabulary.
Next: Amazing Spider-Man # 15