Writer: Stan Lee
Artist: Jack Kirby
Publication Date: February 1965
Dragon Man, despite his rather lame name, is a staple in the Fan 4's rogues gallery, and he makes his first appearance here.So, Dragon Man is a lifeless husk that the villain Diablo breathes life into, which of course raises the question of what, exactly, he is. Stan seems to make a strong point of Dragon Man not being a robot, but what this seems to imply is that Diablo has the power of giving life. This is quite the heady topic for a Stan Lee issue of Fan 4.
This story takes place at Reed and Ben's alma mater, State University. Reed and Ben, of course, were former roommates. A rather unlikely pair, I'd say.
- Professor Xavier and Cyclops make a brief cameo, testing for mutants at State University
- Peter Parker puts in an appearance too! He's considering enrollment
- Stan Lee uses the term B.M.O.C. (Big Man On Campus)
- Reed has heard of Xavier, and is curious why he's never seen any of his scientific findings
- The villain Diablo returns
Reed lends a hand to his old college chum.
Next: Journey into Mystery # 113